Wednesday 21 May 2014

back from a long break, with a new recipe!

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the loooooooooong hiatus. Here's why: since the previous post in September, Yuan and I got into a huge black hole of stress preparing for our finals, because its the grand finale! Yes the last architecture studio crit of our Masters degree. We were really living like zombies until the end of October. And then there was graduation, visiting parents and time to vacate our beloved house.
So now, finally I have some time to continue (yyyaaaayy!!!) and I hope you will continue to stay with me as I share more recipes and more interesting things with you.

For your information, the both of us have left Tasmania, one of the most beautiful places in Australia, to Sydney. And with this, I hope to be able to bring you more interesting events!

Now here's a cute recipe for you:


While I was back in Malaysia at the end of last year, I went to visit my grandmother in Terengganu (east coast of Malaysia peninsular). Knowing that grandma has many tasty recipes to share, I decided to show her my cooking videos. I felt embarrassed at first (it just feels so strange sharing your videos with your family members ><) but to my surprise she actually enjoyed watching them!

So today, I will be sharing my grandmother's cute recipe with you, Kuih Moho. To be honest, I have never came across this, neither have I heard of the name. To me, it is just a cupcake, and I really mean CUPcake. But it is special coz of the simple ingredients and baking method. Since grandma was eager to share this recipe with me, I took the opportunity and asked her permission for filming, and she said YES!

Very simple ingredients: (yields up to 50 cupcakes)
Sweet potato mixture
4 sweet potatoes (approx. 15cm in length)
1 bowl water (2 cups)

Dough
1kg pau flour (or cake flour)
400g sugar
4tsp yeast with 1/4 bowl water (1/2 cup)
6 small eggs/4 large eggs
1 bowl water (2 cups)
Directions:
Sweet potato mixture
1) wash and clean potato, and either steam or boil them till they are cooked. You can check by piercing a fork through the potato. If it is cooked, you should be able to pierce the fork through easily.
2) peel the potatoes and mash them in a bowl
3) add a bowl (2cups) of water and continue mashing/mixing
4) strain the mixture through a sieve to ensure you don't get chunks of unmashed potatoes

Dough
1) prepare yeast: instant yeast powder dissolved in 1/2 cup water
2) in a large mixing bowl, pour in flour, sweet potato mixture, sugar, eggs, yeast and water
3) keep mixing/kneading the flour until you get a sticky, elastic and moist texture
4) divide the whole mixture into 2 portions so that the dough can rise more effectively. Cover with a cloth or like my grandmother, she uses more bowls :) leave that for 30-40minutes.
5) while waiting for the dough, prepare a steamer and bring 1-1.5 litters of water to a boil
6) grandma uses small tea cups! wash them clean
7) after 40minutes, take a teacup and scoop a spoonfull of dough into the cup. place that in the steamer rack
8) steam for 10minutes
9) remove cupcakes into a plate filled with water (to halfway up the teacup). this is to cool down the insides of the cup so that it will be easier to remove from the mould
10) after 5 minutes, with a fork, gently push the sides of the cake and it shall pop out very easily.
11) serve and enjoy!
dough covered for 40minutes

 little teacups! Grandma has heaps of these cuties and I am surprised you can actually use these cups to make cakes!


 so tiny~


cupcakes!

these cakes are very soft and fluffy, and taste sooooo good!

here's the video recipe to it.





It was Yuan's birthday last week, we wanted to surprise her with not-another-cake, so we made her a giant fruit jelly cake for her and it was yummy and very wobbly~ 
I shall make a recipe video on this one day. It was really good!
See you! 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for the recipe. Can you please tell me whether the cups need to be greased before they are filled with batter? In your video, the cakes don't seem to stick to the cups and I'm curious as to why that is the case. Many thanks in anticipation for the clarification.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the recipe. What is the approximate weight of the sweet potatoes? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete